Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Baking and mishaps

I know this blog is for the kids and pictures, videos, cute stories, etc. but I had to get this out somewhere.  Tonight, I finally gave in to the urge to do some baking.  For those who don't know me, I am a pretty good baker.  Those who do know me know that I can crank out some pretty fantastic cookies.  Pies aren't so bad, either.  I've had enough experience and I'm meticulous at following a recipe.  So, when a recipe flops for me, it's a MAJOR flop.  One such flop happened tonight.

Honey cookies are not for me.  Melt shortening and honey in a sauce pan.  Take off heat, stir in sugar, egg yolk, and flour mixture.  Then "pinch off" a walnut sized piece and roll in sugar?!?!?!  This is where it went south.  That dough was NOT pinchable or rollable.  I ended up just scooping tablespoon sized blobs onto the cookie sheet and baking it.  What came out of the oven was a cookie sheet filled with golden brown honey cookie looking nothing like the picture.

They were a little tasty, but got toasted a little too long.  I don't think less time in the oven would have really saved them.  I don't know what would have saved them.  Next time, no saucepan cookies.

Oh, by the way, all the other batches came out awesome. Cream Cheese spritz cookies are good but very rich.  Butter spritz cookies are softer and still rich.  Too bad I can't test either of them further...baby might not tolerate the milk products.

Also made a Weight Watchers pound cake.  Looks awesome, but must cool in the pan before testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment